Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cold Pie with a Warm Touch

Sunrise in Sagada
Visiting Sagada in Mountain Province definetly started my year the way I want it to be. Full of adventure and people that will bring me inspiration. Foods that I will always remember that nowhere else can be found. Kimi told me about their popular "Lemon Pie". I told her that I'm not fan of any kinds of Lemon but I said I'll still try it. With days of hiking, climbing and lot's of walking. On our third day we finally had the time to look for it. We looked for every souvenir shop who might be selling a lemon pie but we cannot find any. And since it is our third day, It was with a heavy heart to admit that we were leaving the wonderful place of Sagada. On our way to the bus terminal, I was thinking what food to bring for my officemates and lemon pie would have been perfect. So, we arrived at around 10 AM in the terminal and the conductor informed us that the bus will be leaving later at 1pm. So it means we have a lot more time to reminisce and look around the municipal. I asked them if they want ice cream because I remember Awingan eating a drumstick after our tour. Inside their cooperative store, I saw this pies sitting inside a windowed cabinet then I ask if that was their lemon pie. They said yes and the other is an "orange pie". I said to myself, perfect. Because with all the oranges around Sagada, for sure they have some specialty made out of it.

Lemon Pie
So I told Kimi that they have some lemon and orange pies. I ordered a slice of lemon because were not sure how it will taste. (it's kinda like a taste test.) I took a bite, it was exactly what I thought it would taste. Like lemon. (means sour). The yellow filling is the lemon custartd, the white one is a soft meringue. All in all it was okay, but for me who isn't a fan of lemon, a taste would be enough. My mom took a bite too then had the same reaction. Kimi on the other hand who loves sour and everything else. Enjoyed eating the rest of the pie. After tasting it, I immediately ordered the orange one. I took a bite, had a funny face (just to tease my mom), and said that it tasted like orange. 

Orange Pie
With a bitter, orangey taste, it is something I could definetly enjoy eating. My mom took a bite then made an icky funny taste. LOL. Kimi tasted it and said the she likes the lemon better. I said I like these one.  The yellow custartd is the orange flavored one, and the white is also a soft meringue.

If you're planning to visit Sagada, make sure you taste there hometown foods. I also had a chance to taste their home town dish which is Pinikpikan, but for I now I wouldn't make any comment about that because I haven't tasted the authentic one yet.






Emoticons

No comments:

Post a Comment